Plyo, aka plyometrics, is the key to building explosive speed in any sport. Deep knee bends followed by explosive high jumps will build fast-twitch muscles needed for quick accelerations and powerful hits. And we all love both of those things, no?
In this workout I bring you a few new tricks I picked up at Rollercon this year, and a few oldies-but-goodies, too. The workout is done Tabata style – meaning 4 minute rounds of 20s work / 10s rest intervals. The key to doing Tabata correctly is that the work intervals must be done at *maximum* effort. Don’t kid yourself that you’re getting the world’s best workout because it’s Tabata, if you’re not putting in the work effort!
Check out the workout here:
Here’s how the workout goes – each exercise is done for 20s at max effort, followed by 10s of rest. Use an online or app-based timer – there are lots of pre-made Tabata ones! I use Seconds Pro from iTunes.
- Part 1: Squat Jumps, Frog Jumps (forward and backward), Lunge Jumps, Tuck Jumps. Repeat this set twice (=4 minutes elapsed).
- 60s rest… (=5 minutes elapsed)
- Part 2: Single-leg Tuck Jumps Right, Single-leg Tuck Jumps Left, Lunge-Tuck Jumps, Forward-Forward-Side Hops. Repeat through twice (=9 minutes elapsed).
IMPORTANT THINGS! Do not ignore these!
- If you are new to plyometrics and/or derby fitness training, stick to Part 1 until you’ve mastered it. You can repeat Part 1 four times for the same duration of work. Part 2 is super advanced.
- This workout uses very intense and explosive movements. Use it as a “finisher” to go after another workout or practice, or at least ensure that you are VERY well warmed up before attempting it. Please, no strained hamstrings!!
- Plyometrics relies on a deep knee bend before the explosive jump. Reviewing the footage, I could have been lower for MOST of the workout. Exaggerate the depth of your knee bend throughout, and do your best to land on soft knees with a deep bend as well.
So… What did you think? Which move was the hardest for you? Please leave a comment below so we can all learn and share!
xo Booty Quake
PPS If you’re looking for a training program that will push your power, speed, and agility with more plyo workouts, you need StrideBooster, my advanced training program that will help you turn up the dial!